Stewards of Children is the only nationally available program scientifically proven to increase knowledge, improve attitudes and change child-protective behaviors. This revolutionary program is for any responsible adult who cares about the welfare of children. It is also appropriate for youth-serving organizations including sports leagues, day care centers, after school programs, children’s clubs, church groups and more.
Stewards of Children is available through a CAC authorized facilitator who has been trained by Darkness to Light.
Who Uses the Program?
Stewards of Children is for any responsible adult who cares about the protection of children. It is also used by individuals, organizations, businesses, and corporations who:
- Seek training for staff and volunteers in the prevention of child sexual abuse.
- Look to enhance their child protection policies and procedures or respond to insurance requirements.
- Want to lead a community-based initiative and offer prevention training to the community.
What Topics are Covered in Stewards of Children?
- Facts about the problem of child sexual abuse.
- The types of situations in which child sexual abuse might occur.
- Simple, effective strategies for protecting children from sexual abuse.
- The importance of talking about the prevention of sexual abuse with children and other adults.
- The signs of sexual abuse so that you might intervene and be able to react responsibly.
What Outcomes Can Be Expected After Training?
- Increased awareness of the prevalence, consequences and circumstances of child sexual abuse
- New skills for adults to prevent, recognize and react responsibly to child sexual abuse
- Proactive, positive change to organizational policies and procedures
- Individual commitment to action via a personal prevention plan
How is the program delivered?
Stewards of Children is available as a facilitator led classroom training. The program includes three main sections including video commentary by adult survivors and experts in the field.
How Long Does the Program Take to Complete?
Stewards of Children typically takes about 2.5 – 3 hours. Think about it — in just 2.5 hours, you’ll have the information you need to better protect every child you know.
In order to create the safest space possible for kids, organizations need more than just training. Your organization’s policy and procedure needs to include provisions for preventing, responding, and reporting abuse. Stewards of Children authorized facilitators are able to guide your organization through the development of best practice sexual abuse prevention policies and procedures.
TNCAC has trained nearly 50 individuals as Steward’s of Children facilitators. To schedule a training for your community or organization, contact TNCAC or find the closest facilitator to you on our list of facilitators.
Evidence and Efficacy of Stewards of Children Prevention Training
Proving that any program has prevented child sexual abuse is difficult due to the complexity, inherent secrecy, significant underreporting, and difficulty in accurate data collection. Child sexual abuse prevention and intervention programs have typically evaluated efficacy by measuring increases in participants’ knowledge, alterations in attitudes and changes in child protective behaviors.
Darkness to Light’s Stewards of Children curriculum has been evaluated multiple times and has consistently met these criteria. The Stewards of Children curriculum has been shown to increase knowledge, improve attitudes and change participant’s behavior over the long-term.
The program has undergone four quasi-experimental studies, and a fifth 3-year study using full experimental design. Three of these studies were federally funded and the fifth study is under consideration for publication.
The actions you take today may help save a child from unimaginable, undeserved suffering.